Disenchanting Azeroth Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Void Storage Size, and my take on it.

+2
Marrra
EnvoyOfTheEnd
6 posters

Go down

Void Storage Size, and my take on it. Empty Void Storage Size, and my take on it.

Post  EnvoyOfTheEnd Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:23 pm

After several back and forth tweets which admittedly was getting a bit unwieldy it was suggested I post my views here.

It has been suggested by some that the Void Storage is simply not big enough, that it should be increased to meet the demand for transmogrification.
However I am not convinced that there is a real need for it to be increased.

My view is that Void Storage was never meant as storage for Transmogrification primarily, but as cold-storage or long-term storage for seasonal/novelty/sentimental items that you wish to keep hold of, but due to infrequency of use were gathering dust as such in your traditional bank storage.
It is complimentary to Transmogrification certainly, but due to the design supporting the idea of long-term storage then I am not convinced of that being the reason for it.

Transmogrification is an entirely optional customisation, where there is no pressure or expectation for you to have multiple sets. Yet some people will.

Due to the intent of some to have multiple sets, whether for different specs, moods or any other reason there are some who are running out of, or have run out of that extra space that Void Storage offered.

That has led to a belief that the space is simply insufficient, that it should be increased.
Space which was extra to what you had before an entirely optional feature, space you chose to fill and were not forced to.

The amount of it was not some random number, but the result of its source.
The derivation of it from the space previously taken up by the keyring, with substantial reductions in the amount of data being required and therefore greater numbers of slots.

I would welcome additional space, but I do not agree with the sentiment that it should be increased simply because some people made the decision to fill it up.

Should we get larger profession bags purely because some can spend longer mining ? No, we get them because of an increase in the variety of ores that comes from the addition of new ones every expansion.

EnvoyOfTheEnd
Grunt Member
Grunt Member

Back to top Go down

Void Storage Size, and my take on it. Empty Re: Void Storage Size, and my take on it.

Post  Marrra Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:12 pm

EnvoyOfTheEnd wrote:My view is that Void Storage was never meant as storage for Transmogrification primarily, but as cold-storage or long-term storage for seasonal/novelty/sentimental items that you wish to keep hold of, but due to infrequency of use were gathering dust as such in your traditional bank storage.
Problem with that is, most seasonal gear can't even be put into void storage. So it's still sitting in my bank taking up space Sad
Marrra
Marrra
Overlord
Overlord

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v185/marrra/Transmogging/

Back to top Go down

Void Storage Size, and my take on it. Empty Re: Void Storage Size, and my take on it.

Post  EnvoyOfTheEnd Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:03 pm

That is because of how unique items are treated, in that unique items cannot be deposited into Void Storage.
Personally I cannot see why, but due to the very specific message stating that you cannot do so, there must be a very specific reason.
I would hope that would be resolved at a later point.

There are several seasonal items I have manged to deposit however.
Brewfest Trinkets, Midsummer Tabard, Winter Veil Sweater, Picnic Basket, Frostscythe etc depending on how you define seasonal items.
Unfortunately the biggest issue is that described above, in that many of them are unique.

EnvoyOfTheEnd
Grunt Member
Grunt Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Keelhaul Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:24 am

I actually spoke about this on the Group Quest Podcast a few nights ago, where the subject came up and my response was that void storage was more than likely designed for the behavior and inventory that existed in-game at that time.

The problem that transmogrification has created for a percentage of players (not all), is it has turned them into collectors. And not necessarily savvy collectors, either. Even among those that are transmogrifying their looks, those that know the full portfolio of what is available in-game are few and far between. So the result for the majority of this percentage of the population that is really into transmogrification is they're bank/void capped. And since the ceiling was determined before this collector behavior took off, it no longer feels relevant and in fact it's considered a hindrance.

For the rest of the player population I would agree that it's probably just fine. But for the transmogrifiers, again their behavior has changed since 4.3. Quest rewards now become moments of truth. Which weapon or armor item do you pick? Might you want to save it for later? What about that raid drop that you normally wouldn't care about because it has Intellect on it, but now since it's a 1H Sword you can transmogrify it onto your MH. Perhaps you'd like to pick that up as well? So it's this innate change in behavior that I think is truly driving a percentage of the population to complain that void storage isn't big enough. Again, it's not the entire player base - not by any means - but there are a number of mavens playing in this space of transmogrification that just like a class feeling like they're not powerful enough, are going to talk about where they want to see improvements.

This should not be the end cap of void storage. Eventually, like everything else, it should evolve into a more relevant solution to those utilizing it the most. On that note I'd be curious what the ratios are of players using void storage for transmogrification versus players using void storage for other means. It's not necessarily something you could measure blindly, but I'd love to see the data nonetheless.

Was a great topic, thanks for posting. I wanted to chat on Twitter but I was like, ugh, this could spam our followers into unfollowing us, haha.

-Keel
Keelhaul
Keelhaul
Admin

http://www.deazeroth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EnvoyOfTheEnd Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:42 am

Normal inventory slots, including those in the keyring needed to store a lot more information, including the crafter, the gems/enchants etc even if not applicable in that case, simply because it was utilising a portion of what were exactly the same slots.
By reducing the requirements down to pretty much the ItemID number blizzard managed to squeeze out of the keyring a lot more space than it had previously provided, 32 slots I think it was.
So the current limit while perhaps not designed with substantial transmogrifcation collections in mind, was due to technical reasons and not just a choice.
That could potentially make increases to the number difficult, for the same reason that blizzard have not increased the size of the standard backpack.
Seems that fixed storage behaves very differently to that used for bag content, which can seemingly be expanded indefinately through the addition of bigger bags.

EnvoyOfTheEnd
Grunt Member
Grunt Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dibface Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:44 am

EnvoyOfTheEnd wrote:Normal inventory slots, including those in the keyring needed to store a lot more information, including the crafter, the gems/enchants etc even if not applicable in that case, simply because it was utilising a portion of what were exactly the same slots.
By reducing the requirements down to pretty much the ItemID number blizzard managed to squeeze out of the keyring a lot more space than it had previously provided, 32 slots I think it was.
So the current limit while perhaps not designed with substantial transmogrifcation collections in mind, was due to technical reasons and not just a choice.
That could potentially make increases to the number difficult, for the same reason that blizzard have not increased the size of the standard backpack.
Seems that fixed storage behaves very differently to that used for bag content, which can seemingly be expanded indefinately through the addition of bigger bags.

This topic (the bolded part) has been addressed by a blue post at one point or another. It basically boiled down to the fact that players keep needing larger and larger bags to hold more of their crap; but really, that's only a bandaid fix. It really is. If 30 slot bags were hypothetically introduced into the game, it's only a matter of time before those fill up as well. 40, 50, it doesn't matter how many slots. They will fill up eventually and people will ask for more.

So the question Blizzard should be asking isn't "How can we give players more space", but instead "How can we reduce what is physically stored". And they've already been doing this. Noncombat pets and mounts immediately come to mind; those used to be physical items you kept in your bags. So what other items can they do this with? Tabards would be a good start, I have a bunch of those sitting in my bank. And I'm pretty sure they mentioned that they were going to try and do something with those.

Ultimately though I think no matter how much space they free up, it will still be filled up by transmog gear, for those who are encountering this problem. My wish is that eventually they'll have an entire UI/interface for transmogrification, much like pets/mounts. You could take the item you want to save for transmog to the Ethereal dude, he'd put it in your list and physically destroy the item in the process. But there wouldn't be a limit on how much gear you can put in this list, because at that point it's not a physical item anymore; it's a spell. Or something like that anyway! I'm not a programmer, I don't know how that all works. But you get the idea.

4.3 and Transmogrification changed the game, and really this is the only permanent solution I can think of. Sure, hoarding transmog gear may only be a niche, but I feel it's enough of a problem that something needs to be done. Whether or not Blizzard plans to do something about it though is another story.

Edit: I feel I should also bring up my take on Void Storage. Personally I've been using Void Storage for its "intended" purpose, which is being able to put all that junk you keep around for sentimental reasons or whatever. Like Linken's Boomerang, that kind of stuff. And that opened up a lot of space in my bank! There's still lots of stuff in my bank that couldn't go in void storage, but it still made a noticeable difference. That being said, I'm getting close to the point where I might need to start putting transmog gear in Void Storage. My bank is virtually full at this point.
Dibface
Dibface
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Skorpsy Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:28 am

When I first decided to finally open up void storage a few weeks ago on all my toons I quickly discovered that 99.9% of the things I wanted to store in it were not valid. Everytime I comment on this in trade or anyone on my friends list I am immediately met with the reply of 'dood you do realize void storage was only intended for mogging stuff right". So finally getting over the fact I can not utilize void storage to actually get rid of anything cluttering my bags and regular banks like tabards, and seasonal items and anything that is unique and stacked or requiring repair, it does seem that the only thing left is mogging stuff.

The problem with transmog is that it is like handing an addict a new designer drug. It totally feeds into and encourages some of our hoarding mentalities. I can not tell you how many damn things are just the perfect item I need....only they come from a quest I long ago did and vendored off already. (*cough* Elekk Hide Spaulders for my rogue) This realization makes me not only want to save every damn soulbound item I come across now, but I am actually fearful of NOT saving them no matter how hideous looking I think they look at the moment, because I might somehow want them later. So for the small % of people that are into transmog, have hoarding personalities AND (this part is the kicker) who have enough gold that they aren't bothered by the 25g per item pricetag, then no, void storage is not and never will be big enough. Smile

However, for the large majority of the "normal" population I suspect it's plenty big enough for the moment. Most people I know think I am crazy for being 3/4 of the way filled up on my main and even bothering with it on my other toons.

I expect that void storage will continue to evolve and probably go up by a few slots and maybe even cost more over time. Honestly I think the current cost balances out the size. 2k or so to fill it up. lol to me 2k is such a pidly amount I wouldn't even notice it missing. Even if I filled it completely up on all 10 of my toons I'm never going to notice that 20k missing, in fact I have accidentally misplaced more than that before! Though, for a lot of people that is a lot of gold, more than a lot are going to throw out rapidly to store some gear.
Skorpsy
Skorpsy
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Post  EnvoyOfTheEnd Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:05 am

Apart from the cost issue of withdrawals the limitations of void storage do a good job of pushing it away from its intended use and more towards storage for transmogrification.
I will agree though that there is the possibility of a UI for it which will not take up traditional inventory space, because pets and mounts are just like void storage be utilising little more than an ID number.
Though due to that never being the intent I do wonder if blizzard would really want to do that.
They have stated in the past that there should be some real choice over what you want to keep and what you do not, which a considerably larger void storage or even a transmogrification UI might somewhat nullify.

I am myself only using one transmogrification set at present, but due to the prior hoarding of novelty/sentimental items etc then I have used up most of my void storage, and perhaps would have filled it entirely if it had accepted the unique items.

EnvoyOfTheEnd
Grunt Member
Grunt Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yuzolain Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:45 pm

my storage is full, t0-t11 with 60pvp ...
Void Storage Size, and my take on it. Wowscr11

Yuzolain
Grunt Member
Grunt Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum