Disenchanting Azeroth Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog

+2
Keelhaul
Selkate
6 posters

Go down

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog Empty Khongorzul's Arms Transmog

Post  Selkate Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:39 pm

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 6996471215_0db56b6796
Khongorzul front arms by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 6996471281_d4e8dba333
Khongorzul side arms by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 6850346354_c0d1b12665
Khongorzul back arms by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

“Go arms or go home!”

So it seems that arms is doing better than fury at the moment, which meant I needed an arms outfit.

The story for this outfit actually goes back to when Keelhaul made his last appearance on Power Word: Gold. He mentioned Overlord’s and how it would look nice on a death knight. I thought that he was right, and wait I had a great sword for it. So I got down my Overlord’s set, researched shoulders, and searched Icy Veins for cloaks. I really loved the way the Mistscape Cloak looked with those blue eyes and the Darkened Broadsword. I checked my auction house and there it was for like five gold.

After I created Khongorzul I realized I had five characters plus a goblin priest and a pandarean monk planned. Do I really have the space and the time for yet another character? I decided to consolidate. So, I looked to see how this set would look like on Dvorah and Khongorzul.
Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 6850346758_331369ce89
Dvorah ret2 by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

It looked okay on Dvorah, but really didn’t stand out. Then I put it on Khongorzul and was much happier with it. The blue skin works as an inbetween for the steel and the blue in the sword and cape. Even her red eyes aren’t too far off the brown in the outfit and the “eye” of the sword. The only thing off was that hair color. So I went to the barber to check out hair colors and there it was.

While I’ve seen Overlord’s on blood elves, night elves, and orcs, I have yet to see it on another troll. Perhaps because troll warrior and troll death knight are two of the least played combinations.

It was quite interesting seeing the Overlord’s set with this set of shoulders on WoW Factor. The general consensus was that it’s a good set, but it needs help to make it pop. I hope I gave it a little zest.

Head: Overlord’s Crown
Shoulders: Stoneform Shoulders
Wrists: Overlord’s Vambraces (needed for the set)
Hands: Overlord’s Gauntlets
Chest: Overlord’s Chestplate
Waist: Overlord’s Girdle
Legs: Overlord’s Legplates
Feet: Overlord’s Greaves
Cloak: Mistscape Cloak
Weapon: Darkened Broadsword

Selkate
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog Empty Re: Khongorzul's Arms Transmog

Post  Keelhaul Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:51 pm

Haha, the Overlord's set! Such a challenge! I do find it intriguing what you're attempting to do by crafting a look with the Overlord's and blending it with blue. I think it's getting a bit lost in the translation of the blue to the sword, as the sword is almost a sea green. But what it does have going for it is it's actually overpowering the Overlord's set which is actually one of the more dominant BoE sets available in terms of its ability to completely overtake the visual identify of a player. Here the troll and the blue are actually battling it out with the Overlord's plate to see who's going to win the viewer's eye. Perhaps with a sword with a bit more blue in it you'll strike the balance you're looking for.

Tough set, very tough. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

-Keel
Keelhaul
Keelhaul
Admin

http://www.deazeroth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Neph Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:28 am

Wow, very nice look especially on the Troll. I think I would agree with Keel and the sword is just a little bit off, I am not sure if there is anything better you could go with, perhaps just a simple steel sword to put the focus on the armor.

Neph
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Selkate Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:48 am

I think part of the reason why this look works is because of the dark sort of steel blue skin color that acts as a bridge to the hair and cloak color.

The great thing about Overlord’s is that it looks like a semi realistic medieval uniform; the negative is that it looks like a uniform. I remember seeing transmog threads on the official WoW boards and someone with Overlord’s saying, “Look I’m a stormtrooper!”

I think that’s why it looks so bland on Dvorah. It looks like a uniform. I find it really intriguing that this set looks better on a troll than a blood elf.

As far as swords go tell me what you think of these:

Relentless Scyth:
Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 7002380927_45ab2eef65
scyth by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Quantum Blade:
Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 7002380891_43b25a2135
quantum by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Mourning Malice:
Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 6856266462_671ac66f3d
Malice by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Trollish Destroyer:
Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 7002380827_a809f072ca
khongorzul trollish by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Abaddon:
Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 7002380805_076e4d3bbd
Khongorzul aba side by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Right now Mourning Malice is in the lead for me followed by Trollish Destroyer. I’m thinking the latter will be my backup sword, assuming I find it on the auction house, while I farm for the former. I might need guild help to get it. Luckily, it drops in normal mode. I put up the other three because I’m wondering if I’m missing something the rest of you might see.

I like the coloring and detail of the Mourning Malice. I like Trollish Destroyer because of its simplicity and the brown straps.

The amusing thing about this set is again it wasn’t meant for her, it was meant for a female undead death knight. I actually went as far as to create her, but all of my characters are too tiny. So no death knight. I think it probably looks better on Khongorzul than the intended death knight.

It shows that sometimes it’s the accessories or the little details that make an outfit stand out.

Selkate
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Keelhaul Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:01 pm

You're really married to that Overlord's plate set eh? Wink It's soooooo tough to make it work. I like what Malice is doing with the blues, but with the Overlord's plate the more I look at this I just can't get over it. Argh, I really want to like this direction too with the blue, but Overlord's plate has silver, white, brown and black. That's four themes in and of itself. Bringing blue into the equation, now that I think of it brings that mix to five and not that five can't live harmoniously - they can. Just not sure if Overlord's is helping you here. Sad Now I'm angry with that plate set even more than I was lol. Argh... such a tough set.
Keelhaul
Keelhaul
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Keelhaul Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:12 pm

OK, here's my question on this one:

What do you want your driving identity to be, the troll or Overlord's plate?

That will help a lot to know what you really want to showcase as the primary.

-Keel
Keelhaul
Keelhaul
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Keelhaul Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:56 pm

There has been a lengthy Twitter conversation on this dilemma between myself, Perculia of WoWhead and Narci from Go Mog Yourself. Not sure if you caught it or not. But I think having seen their feedback I'm still thinking the troll just isn't working with the Overlord's set and it's not the troll that's making it difficult. It's the Overlord's set.

Both Perculia and Narci showed me some examples of what they felt were good mogs of the Overlord's set, but in all cases a tabard was pretty much covering up the majority of the look. I look at that as a bit of a cheat compared to what you're attempting to do here, which is to go tabard-less.

EpicPennyPouch on Twitter also suggested something though, which I thought was funny at first - but interesting the more it sunk in. If you stay with the Overlord's, perhaps don't go medieval, go space age. I need to think on it some more, but it just might work. With the hot contrast in the Overlord's set combined with the floating planar metal plates, it just might work.
Keelhaul
Keelhaul
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Selkate Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:03 pm

The primary showcase? I'm not sure what I want it to be. That's probably why I got this problem. So I decided to see how the blue looks like on Alabaster and Field Plate as well as seeing how Overlord's looks like without the blue.

Alabaster:
Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 7003679835_1f8f0018af
alabaster by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 7003679911_005b8ce33d
alabaster side by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 7003750847_3191589b77
alabaster open by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Field Plate:
Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 6857566558_d6fe1568e5
field plate by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 6857566594_37827fb155
field plate side by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Overlord's:
Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 6857566644_dd111b19c2
over by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 7003680275_957914b13d
over side by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 7003680193_d7ba91632c
over gray by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 6857679494_7aab8701a9
over red by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Not liking the brown on Field Plate, but I do like the little blue gems. I'm thinking Alabaster with the gray shirt might be my best option if I want to go with blue, which is what I'm leaning to. I don't like the gray hair version of Overlord's. I think it gives it a washed out look. The sword and cloak are mere placeholders on the Overlord's. I actually might decide to split this into two looks, Overlord's for fury and Alabaster for arms. I'm undecided with the indigo hair vs. the red, but I'm leaning toward red. I can't help but wonder if I can spice up the Alabaster a little more. Hmmm. I guess I'll go searching Worldofwardrobes. I'm up for just about anything at this point.

Yes, I've seen the big conversation. I apologize for being so much trouble. Then again, her name is Khongorzul, Mongolian for thistle, so it makes sense she would cause trouble. The space age idea sounds intriguing! Let me know what you come up with.

Selkate
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Neph Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:28 pm

I think the orange hair is starting to work there with the overlord. Maybe you want to accent the brown already in the armor with your cloak and weapon choice? Of course then the troll skin will have to be dialed back to compensate. Here are some shots I tried on my warrior, who is undead unfortunately and not a troll.

(on an unrelated not is there anyway to make Mog It allow you to view and try on all gear with lvl 1 characters, I created a female troll to try this on and it would only let me add and preview level 1 gear, not sure if that is intended or not)

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog Wowscr11

Here with Twinblade of the Phoenix (also a hard sword to match but it is kinda working here)

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog Wowscr12

Ramaladni's Blade of Culling (my personal favorite)

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog Wowscr13

Forged Cobalt Claymore (something really simple to showcase the armor)

The cape in all these shots is the very common model found on the pvp cloaks like Sergeant's Cloak. It could be that the bones showing through on the undead and the brownish facial markings are helping me here but I think as Keelhaul said the brown is really the issue on these pieces and so you have to accommodate it.

Sorry to kinda hijack this into a "how to make overlord work" thread but if you do want to stick with the blue theme, then as you mentioned the Alabastor might be your best bet

Neph
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marrra Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:31 pm

To preview on level 1 toons, you go into the Filters option at the bottom and select the level range of gear to look at - I usually tick the box (in the dropdown) for the class I am looking for, too.
Marrra
Marrra
Overlord
Overlord

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v185/marrra/Transmogging/

Back to top Go down

Post  Neph Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:35 pm

ahh wonderful thank you.

Neph
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Skorpsy Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:25 am

Ya know what's funny, is I recently rolled a toon on my husbands server to test out mogging sales, and he was just whining this evening about not being able to find this set on the ah. I check altaholic and I had the legs in my bag, so I hopped on and gave him the legs, and as I was logging I heard him muttering behind me "oh there's a chest up now" and I was thinking to myself, yeah I logged in before work this afternoon....As my toon logs out I see the text "a buyer has been found...." Smile
Skorpsy
Skorpsy
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marrra Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:54 am

I could have sworn I posted a longer reply on here ... where did it go?? Sad

Let me try and remember:

1. The white hair look best with the set.
2. .... nope, can't remember anything else.
Marrra
Marrra
Overlord
Overlord

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v185/marrra/Transmogging/

Back to top Go down

Post  Selkate Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:36 pm

This is getting really intriguing the more I think about it. It seems I’ve stepped into a thorny briar patch. It is becoming more and more “how do we make Overlord’s work tabardless” than the “how do we make this work on a troll” that I was thinking.

This has some interesting ramifications. If we can’t get it to work, there is going to be the perception that this set cannot work without a tabard. This may cause people to not wear it or buy it as much. I’d hate to be part of that.

Going tabardless is a simple matter of economics to me. In the relative near future tabards will probably be toggable. Khongorzul is level 18 so she has a lot of factions to get exalted with. It makes no sense for me to make an outfit designed around a tabard when that tabard is going to have to be removed for another one. We might see transmogable tabards, but I’m thinking toggable will come first. I want to get as much mileage as possible out of my outfits.

I see this as sort of a practice run for the makeover section of WoW Factor contest that you guys want. You’re going to bump into someone who farmed pieces for weeks or bought pieces at retail price, and thus is going to be much more married to those pieces than a transmog seller who just wants her characters to look nice.

The sad thing is there just isn’t very much silver/white plate armor to go around. So it isn’t like gold armor where you can mix and match.

More and more I think my two outfits are somewhere here. I like the Alabaster with the blue a bit more as time goes on. Its simplicity certainly puts my troll and the blue in the driver’s seat. The big problem right now is that I don’t trust myself. I’m not sure if Alabaster should be spiced up (it looks like that is pretty much impossible anyway) or how to proceed with Overlord’s. I’m stumped, but I definitely want something different than what is shown on WoW Roleplay Gear. An exact copy sort of defeats the purpose.

I’ll tinker around with it some more later.

Selkate
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Selkate Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:14 am

So the general consensus was more spaceman and less medieval, and more brown. So this is what I came up with after a bit of searching:

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 6861976486_6cb7e75e5a
space by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 7008092479_9baacb6015
space side by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 7008092443_834cdac8e4
space back by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

The shoulders are Pauldrons of the Argent Sentinel. The sword is a simple bind on equip called Unearthed Broadsword, so it is easy for me to dual wield them. The cloak is also a bind on equip called Wanderer’s Cloak. I like how the top of it matches the gold in the shoulders. I might change the hair back to that off white and see how that looks. Let me know what you guys think.

Selkate
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Pote Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:16 pm

The sword is really throwing me. You got this nicely matched shiny steel armor (and I actually like the pally shoulders on it despite not being an exact match), then you have what appears to be a midget training sword.

For sword maybe:
Dragon Wing Blade
Bonereaver's Edge
or
Destiny

They're all simple type designs that are consistent with the armor. I haven't plugged them in to see how the colors match up though, but tried to stick with stuff that would be color close or have some brown.

Pote
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Selkate Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Out of the three you listed Pote, I’m going with Doombringer. It’s the same model as Dragon Wing Blade, only browner. This closer to what you had in mind?

Khongorzul's Arms Transmog 7008707293_3cd2a366ee
doombringer by Speed Buggy, on Flickr

Selkate
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Pote Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:24 pm

Yea, that looks better. Pulls it all together better toeing the line between Medieval while having some strong Fantasy elements in it. It also picks up all the browns it seems.

Pote
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Neph Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:39 am

I like the sword and the cape but to be honest i don't like the twinkle of the shoulders just too flashy for the rest of the outfit in my mind, i think the old ones worked better but that is just my two cents

Neph
Ornate Member
Ornate Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down